Monday, May 26, 2008

Week 9 -- #20




YouTube rocks! If I could just convince my district tech people of that. They're afraid that students will access inappropriate material, which I admit is a valid concern. However, I think that education is the key -- teach kids what is permissible and be consistent in the enforcement. Since I have the ability to unblock the content filter, teachers frequently ask me to download files for them to use for instruction.

I chose the video Monty Python video because it has been cited as a possible inspiration for the term "spam" as applied to unwanted email, a topic I was looking up recently. And it's just plain silly. Educational application of YouTube certainly includes the numerous curriculum-related videos. Last week I downloaded a Magic School bus episode on Digestion for a student-created health lesson. Students could also create and post their own video projects. Library applications could include tutorials on a variety of topics as well as book talks.

No comments: